Engineering Your Future

At Hutchison, we work hard in advanced math and science classes towards our future. What if we could integrate those skills in real world problems while networking with women across the globe? The Society of Women Engineers (SWE) is a global organization that empowers women through STEM training and exposure to different engineering disciplines. Founded in 1950, the society has amassed over 42,000 members ranging from 60 countries across the globe. An important aspect of SWE is that the organization strives to be inclusive of its diverse community and recognizes “[…] that the scope of diversity includes race/ethnicity, religion, family status, age, physical abilities, sexual and affectional orientation, actual or perceived gender, gender identity and expression, socio-economic status and occupational focus” (Society of Women Engineers). Through this acknowledgement, SWE not only promotes diversity in engineering but diversity in the people affiliated with the organization. The society’s members will work to ensure that females of all ages can see that engineers work to solve real-world problems to improve the quality of life for all; in showing that engineering can be impactful to lives around the world, engineering will be seen not only as a top choice of education but a top profession for women.

The mission of SWE is to “Empower women to achieve full potential in careers as engineers and leaders, expand the image of the engineering and technology professions as a positive force in improving the quality of life, and demonstrate the value of diversity and inclusion”

— Society of Women Engineers

The opportunities SWE presents to students of all ages are many, and they reach girls from across the globe. Therefore, to get a sense of how it can impact a person, we decided to get in contact with Mallory A. Gullett, a senior at the University of Memphis as well as the President of SWE and an Engineering Ambassador there. She explained how her love of engineering only started later in high school since a teacher introduced her to engineering after seeing her enthusiasm for math. In an effort to find her niche in the web of engineering disciplines, Gullett researched until she found Biomedical Engineering — the application of engineering to medicine and biology. She tells us that “My ultimate goal is for my work to help others to restore their health so they may live longer, healthier lives.” When she entered college with this in mind, she learned about SWE and what it could offer. Looking back, she says that “I cannot tell you where I would be without SWE.” As a freshman in college, she joined SWE and took full advantage of the amazing opportunities it presented her with. Through SWE, she has learned effective study methods, connected with collegiate and professional members of SWE and engineering as a whole, and worked on her professional development through various workshops and mock interviews. These skills, along with others picked up along the way, have shaped her in ways she couldn’t have imagined.

SWE has programs dedicated to all age groups from lower school and up. Their Youth Program, SWENext, is a new club we are piloting this year at Hutchison. SWENext allows high school girls to connect with professional engineers and also allows students to explore various engineering topics and studies. Some of the engineering branches our club is looking to tackle this year include technical, computer, and environmental engineering. The more members the SWENext club at Hutchison amasses, the more branches we can spread to accordingly. Consequently, our club is structured in a different way than the traditional club is at Hutchison; whenever a member of our club becomes interested in an engineering topic, event, or branch, she can research and present her interests to the rest of the club. The club can expand from those findings and create a project based on it for service hours. For example, a big project we are researching this year is a solar powered rooftop garden! This ultimately benefits Hutchison and our community by promoting sustainable energy through aesthetically pleasing and environmentally healthy ways. Join the SWENext club to engineer the change you want to see in the world!