The Student News Site of Hutchison School

Signpost

Signpost

Signpost

Power of Service

Power of Service

Service is one of those things that every Hutchison girl needs to achieve, every girl needs to get at least 15 hours of service. Service is a way to give back to the community while also helping you be a better person. There are many different types of services like agricultural work, community development, and many more. The Hutchison community offers many types of service options, one of them being 901 Pop. This non-profit organization that Stephanie Simpson started, works to collect flowers from weddings. Once she collects these flowers they start to put them into separate smaller arranged vases to hand them out. The reason they make these arrangements is to make someone’s day a little better. This past week they held their annual breast cancer arrangements, which they give out to any person recovered from breast cancer, currently sick patients, or just a family member who knows a breast cancer patient or survivor. Stephanie had some great Hutchison girls volunteer for her organization to help with organizing and making the arrangements. Kate Anderson ’24 said, “I loved being able to help out women all in Memphis. It was powerful to know what I was doing is for a greater cause”. Even though they were making flower arrangements, it was for a bigger cause than just making flowers. Stephanie’s company is all about the greater cause of repurposing flowers, and turning them into something so meaningful. 9th grader Kate Weber also said, “I really enjoyed the process of making flower arrangements, and knowing they were going to people for a really good cause”. Even though the service hours at Hutchison are required, lots of girls love service. The reason they love it so much is to have that feeling that they are helping the Memphis community grow to be better and stronger. Even making small or large flower arrangements can really impact someone’s attitude or even just help them feel appreciated.