The Student News Site of Hutchison School

Signpost

Signpost

Signpost

Spotlight: Emily Nunn

Hutchison students smiling with Emily at CBHS homecoming.

Soccer star, scholar, senior, and most importantly single, Emily Nunn’s fun personality secured her a spot on both Christian Brothers High School and Memphis University Schools homecoming courts. Seniors have the opportunity to be voted on to either school’s homecoming court and then the court is voted upon for a queen. Emily is the first girl in years to be selected for both courts because most of the time homecoming for the two schools has fallen on the same night making it impossible for one girl to be on both. So how exactly has Emily secured a spot on both?

The process leading up to homecoming is tedious. First, the court is voted by each school’s student body. Then those girls go to each school for a pep rally where they compete in games and introduce themselves to the students. After, the student body votes on a queen, and those results are revealed at the homecoming game. At the game, the girls are walked to the football field by their escorts and presented one by one while their school and achievements are read out. Emily was surprised when she found out she was in both and said, “I was very excited and honored because I have friends at both schools.”

Leading up to the presentation at halftime, Emily said, “I was nervously waiting in the room before we walked, but that very quickly turned to excitement once we were out on the field”. Emily’s favorite part about the CBHS homecoming process was the pep rally. The ten girls were split into two teams of five and answered trivia questions. Emily said that after that, “The losing team, which was mine, all our dates had to get pied which was funny.”

Emily was escorted to Christian Brothers homecoming by Satiago Calderoni. MUS homecoming was round two for Emily where she was escorted by William Mallory. Even though it was her second time, Emily was equally nervous for MUS but had a lot of fun. Her favorite part of MUS homecoming was that her dad got to escort her and it was a really special experience. Because each school is different in their homecoming traditions, Emily felt like each was fun without being repetitive and was honored to be in both. And the big question everyone is wondering: CBHS or MUS? Emily’s answer sadly doesn’t cause any drama with her saying, “I can’t choose one!” so I guess we will never know.