The Student News Site of Hutchison School

Signpost

Signpost

Signpost

Powderpuff Preparations

Emily Nunn (24) running the ball down the field.

As we slowly move into the fall and winter season, Hutchison girls are able to participate in one of the most anticipated events of the year: Powderpuff. Playing against St. Mary’s Episcopal School, Hutchison students are highly motivated to try their hardest to win and will participate in several practices with students from MUS being their coaches.

Organized by Senior Jordan Deupree, Powderpuff was created 3 years ago to help generate more school spirit and unity. Powderpuff is a flag football game where freshman, sophomores, juniors, and seniors play against another school to gain as many points as possible. Anyone can sign up, and no one can get cut from the team.

Hutchison always plays against St. Marys because of their long term rivalry and connections with students from the school, but recently other schools have contacted Hutchison requesting to be included in the event. These types of questions and possibilities are addressed by Jordan, with the event being her MyExperience project for her senior year. Since the beginning of the school year, she has diligently worked on rosters, new pennies, coaches, and several new game rules. When asked about preparing for the event, Jordan said, “Even though it is kind of stressful, I think that this year’s Powderpuff will be the best one yet. I am also really excited about getting the new pennies especially and who is playing this year.”

Additionally, Powderpuff allows different councils to come together and work on one project. For example, this year the Equity and Inclusion Council manages sign making and ensure that people are not insulting the rival, while the Athletic Council creates a sense of excitement during the game by creating fun half-time games and leading the crowd. Lauren Coleman, president of the Equity and Inclusion council, said, “We are just going to ensure that no one is being disrespectful or targeting any of the players because it’s supposed to be fun but we don’t want to take it too far. It is alright to have fun and rivalries, but we don’t want to get too personal and attacking people.”

This year, Jordan has created a new addition to Powderpuff by creating a donation box right outside the Dobbs Field to for people to donate to charity. She believes that his new addition will allow the event to not only create school unity and pride, but also as a way to create an impact in the Memphis community. Service Council vice president Corinne Rhodes said, “I think adding service to Powderpuff is a great way to help the Memphis community and also give sports equipment and gear to kids who may really need it.” Also, senior Inaaya Saeed said, “I love that we are incorporating service with Powderpuff in a really unique and fun way, and I can’t wait to go to the game!”

Although the initial date of Powderpuff was canceled due to inclement weather, the Hutchison executive council still plans to make activities to create excitement before the event. Whether it is sign making or creating chants, Powderpuff is a great way to support fellow students and bond become united as a school. Students from every grade can unify over one thing: beat St. Marys. Contradictory to this goal, the event also allows Hutchison girls to connect and form friendships with students from another school whom they are not familiar with. Senior Hira Janjua said, “Even though I don’t play in Powderpuff, it is still super fun to support my friends and just bond with my grade.”