The Student News Site of Hutchison School

Signpost

Signpost

Signpost

Club Spotlight

Gov Club discussing a fire in an informal settlement in Africa.

Government Club, more popularly known as Gov Club, is a non-partisan, student-run organization where students talk about what’s happening in the world currently. It takes place every Friday in Sanders at 8 a.m. and usually is accompanied by donuts. Students can volunteer to lead a slide before the group about an event in which they are interested. Gov Club is Senior led but any grade can participate and make a slide to present. Junior Emily Jackson attends Gov Club every Friday and says, “Gov Club gives people the opportunity to learn about current events and discuss them in a fun, organized manner.”

Mock Trial is also a new club on campus, started by Isabelle Mansour ‘23 her Junior year. Mock Trial is a club where students compete across the city with a case given to them where they must be witnesses, lawyers, and bailiffs. This year the team is led by Jordan Deupree (12) and Virginia Unglesby (11) along with Mrs. Nair, Mr. Reynolds, and their legal aid and Hutchison alumna Noor Obaji ‘10. This club has come a long way since their start three years ago, from losing every match to placing in the top five. This year, the team has already received a lot of interest and cannot wait to start. Senior Jordan Deupree said, “It’s amazing to see how far the team has come and I cannot wait to have one last season together!” Mock Trial’s competition takes place in February downtown at the Memphis courthouses. This year they will have two teams competing in the circuit for the first time.