The Student News Site of Hutchison School

Signpost

Signpost

Signpost

Sting-Work

Sting-Work

Teamwork. The word all athletes hear repeatedly throughout a season. Teams strive to have good chemistry and teamwork because these two factors usually determine a successful season.

Hutchison does teamwork like no other. Their strong teamwork has brought home many victories to the sting.

There is an obvious gap between the Hutchison soccer team and other high school teams in the way they work together and support each other on the field. Communication, understanding, and work ethic are all key components to the definition of teamwork. A strong understanding of your teammates’ strengths and weaknesses improves your own mindset of the game.

Having good chemistry on the field translates to chemistry in the classroom. Sports teams are great ways to make lifelong friends in other grades. This provides more opportunity in the classroom. A team that overall works together well on the field will also work together well in classes and out of school.

Kaitlyn Thomas (9), a new student at Hutchison, stated that she thought the Hutchison soccer team stood apart from the other soccer organizations. She’s played with. “I think there is much more teamwork on the Hutchison team than on my old school soccer team or my club team. Our whole team is friends, and we work as a team really well,” said Thomas. The teamwork is noticeable even to a new student. It stands out compared to other teams she has played on and everyone on the Hutchison team feels like they have a place.

The amount of teamwork can affect performance. Varsity soccer coach Clint Browne states, “If you have good teamwork and chemistry, the reality is people cover for each other. If someone makes a mistake or messes up a teammate that has respect for that person is going to try to do something extra for that person. When teams do work together it can be a very clutch piece of teams being good at important things.” He considers teamwork a very important aspect of the game and there is a large difference between a team that works together compared to one who does not

Virginia Unglesby (11) shared what she thought about the difference between when you see your team working together versus when they aren’t working together. She stated, “The main difference between playing as a team and not is communication on and off the field. In the locker room making sure everyone understands the rules and on the field communicating with each other. Also when we bring each other up and hyping each other up rather than being destructive about things. Constructive criticism is really important for a team.” Virginia says, “The all girls atmosphere is really important in that aspect because with all girls you can bring each other up. Hutchison has a very positive atmosphere surrounding their teams and there’s focus put into every single team. Everyone on the team is super uplifting. They will always celebrate your wins and your losses to help you to get better.”

Overall Hutchison does a great job of promoting teamwork and applying it on and off the field. Hutchison’s positive atmosphere really makes everyone feel comfortable and like they can be themselves. Teamwork truly is one of the leading components of a successful team and it’s what makes the Hutchison soccer team standout compared to other high school teams.