The Student News Site of Hutchison School

Signpost

Signpost

Signpost

Leaping into the Season

The screams of hundreds of girls escape a Hilton ballroom. This summer, over the course of four long days, the Varsity Hutchison dance team learned new skills, combinations, and dances. With many new freshmen joining the team, camp was very beneficial in preparing everyone for the season. As a senior on the dance team, Olivia Lester said, “I enjoyed learning new combinations, and I feel that I was pushed out of my comfort zone.” Olivia has been a member of the dance team since 7th grade. She felt that being pushed to try new things during camp helped boost her confidence.

Technique is a very important factor that plays into a dance team. Over the course of four days, the Hutchison Dance Team took part in technique classes to improve their skills. Both individually and as a team, they had the opportunity to improve their jumps, turns, leaps, and tricks. Learning and improving their skills will help them advance their routines throughout the season.

Two weeks before Black and Gold Day, the dance coaches start creating a routine for the exciting day. Most people do not question the amount of time needed to prepare a routine for 18 dancers. The UDA Camp experience gives the coaches a head start on a routine. This year, the dance team learned one performance routine together and two routines individually. Preparing a routine that most of the team knows creates an easier start to the season.

Olivia feels that camp was beneficial and “something the team really needed” because they were able to bond as a team. Every day at camp, each team joined their group leader and gained new leadership skills. The UDA staff teaches the qualities of being a good teammate. Knowing how to be a good teammate creates community and gives girls a sense of belonging.

After each routine is performed, the dancers are judged on effort, cleanliness, and overall energy. The Hutchinson Dance Team earned 30 Blue Superior ribbons and 3 Red Excellent ribbons. Drill downs are a fun way that UDA likes to end the day and the team earned 11 Drill Down Ribbons. Coach Kristen said, “The team was awarded the Superior Trophy which is awarded to teams with highest ribbon accumulation scores. With this award, the team qualifies to compete at the National Dance Team Championship at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida. The dance team is also invited to perform at the 2024 Cheez-It Citrus Bowl.”

There were two UDA All-American Team Dancers for Hutchison, Gracie Wilkinson (12) and Adela Calzada (12). Both of these dancers competed individually, and they were invited to perform at the Macy’s Day Thanksgiving Parade. When asked about being an All-American, Adela said, “I was really proud of myself and I enjoyed meeting the group I danced with.”